“A conversation” truly is the best way to describe social media. Josh Kilmer-Purcell hit the nail on the head when he said that social media has gone from a broadcast model to a conversation model in the March episode of Anchor Chat. “It’s not a broadcast medium. It so damages your brand to not answer every question on your Facebook page,” explained Josh.
So many companies and brands want to use their social media platforms only to crank out press releases, coupons, and other promotions. These things can appear on social media but shouldn’t be the only thing pages post. After all, no one likes That Friend who only talks about himself! Engaging your target market with questions and sharing industry news with them are two simple ways to position your brand as both an expert in your respective industry and a concerned listener.
I cannot stress this enough: Do not delete negative posts. Josh has it right: it damages your brand to delete those concerns. Negative comments are opportunities for your brand to demonstrate exemplary customer service. Let those voices be heard. Answer them. Have a conversation with them. You’ll be glad you did in the long run.
At a Social Media Club Fort Worth seminar in Summer 2011, Social Media Delivered CEO Eye Mayer Orsburn told the crowd that brands should only talk about themselves 20% of the time. The other 80% of posts should be engaging and dynamic content relevant to your brand. Telling fans to constantly “buy this” or “buy that” isn’t as powerful as providing solid content that will make fans want to buy this or buy that. The Beekman 1802 Boys, for instance, try to answer every comment on their Facebook page. When fans feel like their voices are being heard, they’re more inclined to support the Beekman brand by purchasing a product because they feel like the brand is supporting them as a customer.
Do you run a Facebook brand page? Comment below and tell us what your page is, what industry your brand is in, and how you engage your fans in conversation.